Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shameless Self-Promotion

Digging around some old files I found a make-up effects reel I created with Windows Movie Maker about a year ago. So much of my life has changed in such a very short period of time. I won't dive into specifics, but I feel that it's the hardships that an artist endures that truly shape their work, more so than any skills or tools at their disposal. It's important to take the time to acknowledge those instances in one's life. It's tough trying to think of new ways to promote yourself, especially when you have a penchant for wanting to do everything and then having to teach yourself like I do. I don't have an agent, I'm still working on a portfolio, and this is about the extent of what I could give someone if they asked for a "reel". I'm not quite the best at social media, networking, or even dealing with people in real life. I definitely embody "the only person that can hold you back is you".

In the film and television industry, people tend to hire the same people to do the same job over and over again. Producers don't like surprises and they enjoy working with people that get results, on time and on budget. That's why it's so damn hard to break into the industry. Sure, there may be union hurdles to job, relocating to a major metropolitan city, working 16+ hours a day, and competing against some producer's neighbor's nephew's dog walker for the job, but it's all worth it if you are following your dream.

I do realize I have to stand out with my work, and I have to try even harder than most. I didn't go to some prestigious make-up school. I didn't intern under someone with enough IMDB.com credits to crash your web browser. I don't own a workshop or studio. My parents and family are still trying to figure out why I like playing with make-up. I am largely self-taught, save one course under Carl Paolino at SVA in New York. Having relocated from Brooklyn, NY to Cleveland, Ohio is even a steeper incline to climb in the entertainment industry based on the number of opportunities within the field, though I will do my best anywhere I go.

I thrive on picking up tips & tricks from those kind enough to share with me like Brittney-Jade Colangelo and David Kalahiki, among so many more. I am fueled by my passion to learn more, do more, and create more. It's easy to sell yourself short, to give up and walk away when you feel no one appreciates your efforts. I put my heart and soul into all my art - not because of anything else outside of the simple fact that I must. There's no way around it, I must create. This compulsion is what keeps my head clear and my spirit high. I know I may not be the most talented or refined, but I am trying. It's a journey I walk largely alone, though I gladly welcome any companion.

If you ever have any tips, tricks, advice, anecdotes, secrets, websites, books, videos, tools, special formulas, tutorials, recipes, friends, family, loved ones, or anything else that you feel would help me be a better artist, please send the information my way. I'm not looking for fans, I'm looking to make people proud.

Anyway I uploaded my little artifact to YouTube for your enjoyment.



The video contains my work from:

The Short Film "George"

FunnyOrDie.com

and

The Short Film "Regift Demon".

Click the links to learn more about each project.

No comments:

Post a Comment